From Internship to Awesome Full Time Employee, An Interview with Sarah McRae
1. Can you describe the day-to-day tasks involved in your internship?
My day-to-day tasks involved working on data requests for clients (both coding them and performing quality control), and converting reports and listings for a conversion project.
2. Did you work on any particular projects while interning at ROI?
I helped with the listing conversion project and worked a little on the MiLo™ machine learning modeling project.
3. Do you believe this internship helped advance your career in data management?
Definitely. I learn by doing and by seeing examples, and I was able to apply the skills I had learned in college in a non-classroom setting.
4. What did you learn from this internship experience?
I learned more about databases in general, including how a large database can be effectively structured and how to efficiently pull information from a database. I also learned how to better manage concurrent short- and long-term assignments, and the best way to use my time to complete all my assignments. Since most of my time was spent coding, I learned how to better approach a coding project, just as programing it bit by bit and how to reuse and repurpose code. I also became much more comfortable with SQL.
5. Would you recommend an internship at ROI Solutions to others?
Definitely. One of the pros of having an internship at a smaller company is you have more opportunities to do tasks a full-time employee might do. You’re getting hands on experience with work that you might do after college.
6. How would you describe the culture at ROI Solutions?
Very positive. It’s a great combination of expectations and understanding. People expect you to get your work done but also understand that sometimes things go wrong. Everyone is passionate about their work and encouraged me to try and learn new things.
7. Did your coworkers at ROI Solutions encourage you to grow in your work?
Definitely. Everyone was very helpful whenever I had a question, and multiple times during my internships people took time out of their schedule to walk me through a new process.
8. Do you feel as though the internship program at ROI impacted your career path? If so, how?
It was very different work than I had done before. I had primarily worked with R Studio working on analyzing and visualizing data. Most of my classes were not coding classes. At ROI, I primarily worked in SQL, and the work was more coding heavy. It introduced me to different possibilities of what I could do in the future.
9. Do you believe your internship at ROI made a positive impact on your remaining time in college?
I interned at ROI between my junior and senior year, so when I went back to college I had to do my senior year classes, which came with senior year projects. For my classes, I used a lot of the practical coding skills to more efficiently complete my assignments, and I drew on my database and SQL knowledge for projects.
10. Do you have any recommendations for a new intern at ROI Solutions?
Ask questions and write things down. Everyone has had to learn the system and remembers how hard it was. Also, always look for new opportunities and jobs or projects you can work on.
11. What was your favorite aspect of your internship at ROI Solutions?
The people at the company. They pushed me to try new and harder things and were always happy to help whenever I had a question (or ten). I learned a lot over the summer, and a large part of that was thanks to people taking the time to help me with a task or explain a process to me.